Imagine getting away from your normal routine to a secluded and inspiring location. And beyond resting and leisure, you get an opportunity to ideate, create and produce that art piece you have been postponing, make a film or a new recipe, fashion design, write your music, record and showcase it.
You can now do all that and more at Tafaria Castle & Centre for the Arts. When residing with us on full-board basis, you get access to music and film recording studios, filming locations, visual arts studios, fashion and beauty studios, culinary studio, exhibition gallery, performing auditorium and digital content distribution, leisure activities and more.
Lorem, ipsum dolor sit amet consectetur adipisicing elit. Voluptas magni numquam porro minima, maxime est necessitatibus, a voluptatem voluptatibus recusandae iste fugiat neque temporibus sequi qui! Similique necessitatibus ipsa exercitationem.
This is a call from Tafaria Center for the Arts. The Center was established 10years ago to, among other things, inspire social-economic, cultural and environmental transformation through the arts.
We observe that the rapid increase in the consumption of processed foods in rural Kenya and its townships has resulted in a staggering rise in non-biodegradable waste. With no waste management culture or infrastructure in place, plastics and glass are now visible everywhere, causing harm to our precious environment.
We are deeply concerned and determined to intervene through the the arts.
As we celebrate our 10th anniversary of providing art residencies to local and international artists and having identified the above problem in our community, we are happy to invite visual creatives to submit proposals for a sponsored residency at Tafaria Center for the Arts and create solutions to sustainably address it.
We aim to collaborate with the local community to create innovative solutions that will:
1. Educate and sensitize rural communities on non-biodegradable waste management through the arts.
2. Design artistic concepts that promote long-term behavior change and sustainable practices.
3. Develop scalable solutions to effectively manage this problem in similar geographies.
4. Create participatory public installations that utilize the waste on a large scale.
5. Craft aesthetically appealing concepts that have strong affinity with local communities to inspire rapid adoption.
The art residency process
The selected artist(s) will embark on an extraordinary journey that includes:
1. A fully sponsored one-month art residency at Tafaria Center for the Arts, covering accommodation, meals, per diem, materials (with a preference for recycled materials), community access logistics, process documentation, and showcasing opportunities.
2. The residency will take the following approach:
· An immersive research phase within the local community,
· Ideation phase on application solutions
· Prototype development
· Installations in collaboration with community members.
3. Upon successful completion of this phase, it is expected that the artist(s) will take technical leadership in scaling the concept once the scaling funding has been secured.
1. That this call is open to individual artists or collaborations of up to two artists.
2. Artists should on application indicate their preferred month of residency between August and November 2023.
3. This call is open to both local and international artists. Collaboration between local and international artists highly recommended.
4. That objective 1 & 2 above may entail collaboration with non-visual artists e.g. with performing artists etc, while 5 may include botanists
5. Application form is here: www.tafaria.com/arts
6. Further enquiries through firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Deadline for applications is July 30th.
Lookout for similar calls on other social and economic challenges in due course.
About Tafaria Center for the Arts:
Tafaria Center for the Arts is a dynamic multidisciplinary facility located at Tafaria Castle, on the border of Laikipia and Nyandarua counties in rural Kenya. We firmly believe that the arts are the cornerstone of human endeavors. Over the past decade, we have supported and nurtured numerous artists, both locally and internationally, through our art residencies. Our goal is to foster the growth of the creative industry while driving social, economic, cultural, and environmental change. Our facilities include galleries, a museum, a 400-seat auditorium, music and film recording studios, beauty studios, wood and metal workshops, artist accommodations, studios for visual arts, pottery, fashion design, and culinary arts.
Join us in this vital endeavor to address non-biodegradable waste through the transformative power of art. Together, let's create impactful and scalable solutions that will inspire change, raise awareness, and protect our environment.
We look forward to receiving your creative proposals
Tafaria Center for the Arts