Welcome to your art residency at Tafaria.
Tafaria art residency program is geared towards using applied art to drive social and economic change in rural communities. As such, your residency application should bear in mind positive impact on rural communities guided by the criteria below
1. Your idea must be original i.e. should not be a carryover project
2. Must utilize locally available materials as much as possible
3. Must involve/incorporate the local community
Below are some pre-determined themes to choose from depending on your area of expertise. Pick an area
and articulate how you will implement it to achieve the desired objective(s)
1. Nutrition – for culinary artists, articulate how best you can improve the nutritional mix of local foods,
food presentation & processes, tastes etc using locally available ingredients
2. How you can aesthetically improve public spaces such as schools, churches and hospitals
3. How you can use arts including upcycling to advocate for conservation/environmental care
4. Creation of iconic installations for social inspiration, upliftment, prestige, touristic iconology, way
5. Use of arts for advocacy around social issues such as domestic violence, drug and alcohol abuse
6. New and inspiring fashion designs using locally available materials preferably upcycling
7. Productions to showcase community activities, talent, inspiring stories through music or
8. Any other area of social impact
Send your application to:
The Custodian, Tafaria Center for the Arts: firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember to indicate area of your practice and preferred date of residency.
The artist-in-residence (AiR) programme is run by Tafaria as one of its initiatives to make rural areas culturally, physically and commercially appealing so that they become more inviting, hospitable and resilient as a means of contributing towards reversing rural-urban flight.
By being part of this residency, you will be joining us in making this goal a reality.
We expect that before commencing on any works, that you shall take time to familiarize yourself with Tafaria and the community around us. This will help you identify possibilities and community problems that can best be captured/solve through art.
Subsequently, you shall then undertake the actual development of the works and finally exhibit either at the
gallery, around the compound or within the community.
Available for you
The programme covers the following:
1. Your full board accommodation (at the artists residential quarters) including all meals
2. Extra meal & drinks at the hotel offered at staff price
3. Guidance into the local neighborhood
4. Exhibition space at the gallery, around the Castle or the community
1. All works during the residency must be originated at Tafaria – not a carryover of an ongoing project
4. Visitation into the artists in residence quarters
Note that in the event of a residency extension, only fullboard accommodation is offered. This however
has to be approved beforehand to avoid interrupting with the schedule of other artists.
Incase you require further help/guidance, please notify the custodian of TMCA or programme coordinator.